Summer camp is a wonderful experience for children at Camp Riverbend
Summer camp is a wonderful experience for children--maybe it’s the friendships that kids made, the new skills they learn, the chance they have to spend the whole day outside in nature. At summer camp, children meet counselors who are amazing role models. Adults who were campers themselves remember their summers fondly as amazing experiences that formed who they are. And that’s what your child can still find at Camp Riverbend!
Founded in 1962 and still run by the Breene family, Camp Riverbend creates a magical environment for children. There are activities galore, from A to Z, from archery and aerobics to a zip line. There are 30 acres of woods and fields to explore. There are children from your town and others, with whom your child will make lasting friendships. There are caring adult counselors to guide, teach, encourage and inspire your child.
Camp Riverbend provides a custom experience for all age campers:
- The Clubhouse is a wonderful introduction to the summer camp experience for children 3-5 years old, in an area of camp designed just for them and a warm, nurturing environment.
- Riverbend Experience is where campers entering 1st through 8th grades explore, grow and gain confidence! Days are packed full of fabulous activities and fun for kids; this is the place to make new friends and life-long memories!
- Day Trippers gives middle schoolers a safe and supportive environment for learning social skills and independence while experiencing fun and adventurous day trips around the area.
And what’s summer at camp without silly traditions and camp spirit? Riverbend campers look forward to the annual banner parade, giant pancake breakfast, counselor water carnival, the farewell clap-out at the end of each week, the lost and found fashion show, the floating campfire in the pool on the last day of the season and loads more!
Camp Riverbend is especially proud of its counselor staff, made up of teachers and college students. There is no CIT program and no high school students supervise campers; Riverbend believes that mature counselors are more patient, understanding, skilled with children and responsible; those are the only kind of counselors that the Breenes hire.
The Breene family also embraces a philosophy of “participation, not competition.” In today’s world, there are so many (too many?) venues where children must compete to succeed. At Camp Riverbend, each child is encouraged to try new activities and each accomplishment, from blowing bubbles in the water at the pool, to hitting a home run, is honored.
The camp day begins the moment a child steps onto the air-conditioned bus and is greeted by the bus counselor. Once they arrive at camp, there’s more fun in store: silly songs at the morning assembly, then a wide variety of camp activities, including daily swim lessons and free swim time, sports, crafts, cooking, performing arts and nature. Lunch and snacks are included for all. Campers also get to choose some of their favorite activities and get more choices as they grow older. The Riverbend bus delivers campers back home, tired, dirty and ready for another wonderful day tomorrow!
Open Houses 2019:
For all ages (3-14)
- Saturday, February 23, 10 am -12 noon
- Sunday, March 17, 10 am -12 noon
- Saturday, April 13, 10 am -12 noon
- Saturday, May 11, 11 am – 2 pm